The priority of Citizen Advocacy South Australia is the promotion, protection and defence of the personal welfare and interests of people with intellectual disability.
Other benefits of this work can include:
- Building better communities (more inclusive, diverse, stronger)
- A broader understanding of Social Justice
- A more compassionate and caring society
The ongoing core activities of program staff include:
- Identifying and Recruiting vulnerable people with intellectual disability who would benefit from having a Citizen Advocate in their lives
- Recruiting suitable community members to become Citizen Advocates
- Conducting Orientation to prepare community members for their roles as Citizen Advocates
- Matching people with disability and suitable community members in freely given, one to one, long term relationships.
- Keeping in touch with the people involved in each Citizen Advocacy relationship through regular communication and gatherings.
- Providing ongoing support to Citizen Advocates by offering training opportunities, the chance to discuss ideas and personal assistance through the many and varied experiences that their roles may bring.
- Recruitment of “Advocate Associates” from a wide range of relevant professions (e.g. legal, medical, education) to provide expert information and support to Citizen Advocates (if required).
- Recruitment of community members with suitable skills and experience to act as “Crisis Advocates” in situations requiring specific and urgent action.